Year 9 Options
Making curriculum choices in Year 9 is a very important decision as it will shape your time at school for the next two years and beyond. It is also an exciting opportunity to think very carefully about your future aspirations and how you can build upon your strengths to achieve them.
There will be core subjects that everyone will study but you will also have a choice of optional subjects. It is important to choose subjects that you enjoy and are interested in so that you will be motivated to work hard.
Take advice from your current subject teacher and think about the way the course and exams are structured. This process of researching, reflection and discussion is very important as we offer a range of subjects, including some that were not studied in Key Stage 3. It is therefore essential to take time to understand what each course offers, what combinations are possible, and what is most suitable for each student as an individual.
As well as thinking about choosing the subjects that feel right for you, think about how these choices could help to prepare you for your next steps:
- What grades will you need if you wish to study the subject further at Sixth Form?
- What subjects would be useful for a university course or career aspiration?
Year 9 Options Evening: Thursday 7 January 2021
Choosing your courses in Year 9 is the first step in an exciting journey. At Beacon Academy, we provide you with information and advice to help you to make those informed decisions. The first important step is our Year 9 Options event, when the options process is explained in detail.
This year, this event was been adapted to allow our students and their families to explore their options online. With the exception of the core subjects, each of our subject departments created an introductory video providing detailed information about what will be on the course and how it is structured. Some of the videos also feature contributions from current Year 10 and Year 11 students.
The videos are available to view below.
Supporting you to make the right choices
Our staff are available via email to provide support, guidance and advice throughout the options process. You can find contact information for your subject teachers here.
Parent consultations for Year 9 took place on Wednesday 13 and Thursday 14 January 2021 to allow for further discussion.
Shortly after our Options Evening, students receive a login and password that will enable them to confirm their choices via our online form at: http://www.beacon-academy.org/optools/. Please note, students will not be able to gain access with their usual Beacon Academy login.
The deadline for submitting your choices was Friday 22 January 2021.
Our 2021-22 Year 9 Options Booklet is now available to view below:
Good reasons for choosing an option:
- You are good at the subject and you enjoy it
- Your research shows that it will interest you and motivate you to learn
- It helps to give you plenty of choice post 16
- You may want to continue studying the subject post 16
- It fits your career ideas and plans
Bad reasons for choosing an option:
- Your friends have chosen it
- You think it will be easy
- You think it is a good option for a boy/girl
- Someone else thinks it is a good idea
- You like the teacher you have now for this subject
- Year 9 Options Evening (online): 7:00pm, Thursday 7 January 2021
- Year 9 Parent Consultations: Wednesday 13 and Thursday 14 January 2021
- Year 9 Options deadline: Friday 22 January 2021
Explore your Year 9 Options online
Our Year 9 Options videos will be available to view from 7:00pm on Thursday 7 January 2021. Start with Mr Hall’s introductory video below and then check out our Year 9 Options YouTube playlist to view a presentation from each department.